Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Best/Worst Movies of 2008


Well, on the eve of the Oscar nominations, I figured it was time to break it down. So here are my favorite and least favorite movies of 2008. For the first time ever I had a hard time limiting my favorites to 10 so it was a good year for movies.

TOP 10 LEAST FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2008

10. Revolutionary Road - We don't need a movie to show us that living in the suburbs in a stale marriage with kids can be unsatisfying. Do we?

9. Rachel Getting Married - Two hour home video of the most annoying female I've ever met. No thanks.

8. Wanted - Two hour gun training session with zero story.

7. Made of Honor - Bland female lead and bland story that even Patrick Dempsey could not save.

6. 27 Dresses - Sure, I've seen this many times on HBO but Katherine Heigl has managed to go from fan favorite to annoying chick who should stop talking in only a few years. Bravo.

5. Forgetting Sarah Marshall - People liked this movie and I should have but Jason Segel just couldn't carry this movie. And, again, the female lead was soo bland.

4. Mad Money - Only saw 20 minutes of this movie on TV but it was so terrible that it clocks in at #4.

3. The Other Boyelyn Girl - Ugh.

2. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - My childhood is dead.

1. Changeling - Worst movie of the year by a mile. Nothing is close. Terrible acting, terrible story, too long. So terrible it makes me angry.

TOP 10 FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2008

Quickly, I must mention some movies I liked that didn't make the top 10. I still recommend these... Doubt, Last Chance Harvey, Wall-e, Tropic Thunder, Burn After Reading, Iron Man, Defiance, and, of course, my guilty pleasure, Twilight.

10. Vicky Cristina Barcelona - Not the most polished, not the best ending, but thoroughly entertaining. And Javier Bardem is easy to enjoy for 90 minutes.

9. The Wrestler - Mickey Rourke has a great comeback story though I do think he's basically playing himself in this film. Good performances by the two supporting females too.

8. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - People are seriously split on this film. I agree it wasn't a homerun, but something about the love story got me. Enough to move me to tears.

7. Sex and the City - Perhaps I enjoyed this so much because my expectations were low. But I was surprised by how funny, entertaining, and sometimes moving this movie was. Great chick flick.

6. The Reader - Loved this movie. Love Kate Winslet and David Kross in this movie. Cried. Very hard.

5. Role Models - Best straight up comedy I've seen in a long time. Laughed from start to finish.

4. The Dark Knight - Re-watched this last week and it held up. Christian Bale is still somewhat ridiculous but the action sequences are amazing and Heath Ledger is insanely awesome.

3. Milk - Sean Penn is great as usual and Gus Van Sant did a good job.

2. Frost/Nixon - Probably my most surprising movie of the year because I thought it'd be somewhat boring and Ron Howard usually makes fairly bland movies. But this movie was funny, tense, and filled with great acting by everyone. Definitely highly recommend.

1. Slumdog Millionaire - Awesome.

No comments: