Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oscar Noms 2008


Whoa. Some weird snubs. Weird. Here they are:

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor"
Frank Langella in "Frost/Nixon"
Sean Penn in "Milk"
Brad Pitt in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler"

No Leo which is sad. Penn deserves to win but Rourke probably will.

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Josh Brolin in "Milk"
Robert Downey Jr. in "Tropic Thunder"
Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Doubt"
Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight"
Michael Shannon in "Revolutionary Road"

I'm fairly annoyed by the Shannon nomination but the others played out as I thought. I was hoping Dev Patel from Slumdog would get a nod though. Ledger should and probably will win but I'd love to see another drunk speech from crazy Brolin.

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Anne Hathaway in "Rachel Getting Married"
Angelina Jolie in "Changeling"
Melissa Leo in "Frozen River"
Meryl Streep in "Doubt"
Kate Winslet in "The Reader"

Jolie, REALLY? I can only think these people are dying to get St. Angie to show up to their shindig. She is not good. Winslet got snubbed in Rev. Road but her performance in the Reader got bumped up to main actress. Melissa Leo was a shock over Sally Hawkins. I hope Winslet beats Hathaway.

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Amy Adams in "Doubt"
Penélope Cruz in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
Viola Davis in "Doubt"
Taraji P. Henson in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
Marisa Tomei in "The Wrestler"

I am happy for Davis because she seems completely humble and lovely. And she knocked her one scene out of the park. BUT Henson seems fairly annoying and her character was over the top. This category is sort of wide open as Winslet has been winning most awards. So, I suppose I'm pulling for my girl Tomei or Cruz who was really awesome.

Achievement in directing
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - David Fincher
"Frost/Nixon" - Ron Howard
"Milk" - Gus Van Sant
"The Reader" - Stephen Daldry
"Slumdog Millionaire" - Danny Boyle

The snub here is really Christopher Nolan for Dark Knight. A lot of people thought he'd get nominated because it was such a complicated good movie. But I think this award will surely go to Boyle.

Best motion picture of the year
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
"Frost/Nixon"
"Milk"
"The Reader"
"Slumdog Millionaire"

The overwhelming love for Benji Button is somewhat shocking. But I'm very happy with the other four nominations. They got it right. Slumdog will win and I will be watching. :-)

No comments: