Wednesday, June 17, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance - Top 18


I love this show. Which I will now refer to as SYTYCD. Now, I don't know if anyone watches this show besides me and t, but I am going to write about it anyways. If you're not watching, you should. As someone who is not a "dance" fan per se, I really enjoy it.

So the Top 18:

The best:
My favorite of the night (aka the one I would watch again on Tivo) was Brandon and Janette's disco. Wow. That's all I could say afterwards. It's funny because disco is usually crappy and cheesy but these two completely elevated the genre. Of course, when I found out the choreographer was in "Dirty Dancing", I knew why I enjoyed it so much.

The worst:
Definitely Caitlin and Jason's hip hop routine. I didn't know Jason's name before now but I certainly knew Caitlin because they've highlighted her a lot. The minute I saw she was doing Shane Sparks I knew she was in serious trouble. And she was. Man, not good. They are in danger of being voted off.

The rest:
My other two favorites were Melissa (the ballerina) with Ade and Jonathan and Carla (had to look up their names).
Ade and Melissa did that sort of weird jazz contemporary dance choreographed by Sonya but I love watching them dance together. Last week their slow dance was my favorite (even though it was to Richard Marx).

Then there's Carla and Jonathan. The funny thing is that they are both not really great dancers. But when you've got "Falling Slowly" playing behind you and you're telling a love story, it's hard to miss. And the new Canadian choreographer really surprised me. Especially since at first I thought she seemed like a cheer coach and I thought she'd be a joke. What do I know.

Still love watching Broadway Evan dance with Randi because, as they would say, they are "fun". Good for them.

Vitolio and Asuka did a waltz that made Mary cry but I just thought was pedestrian.

Philip and Jeanine's tango was terrible but Philip is pretty damn awesome so I'm sure he'll be fine.

And then to close it out, Ashley and Kipono's hip hop was lame. Two strikes for Shane Sparks. Is that the end of the Sparks era?

No comments: