Tuesday, January 23, 2007

come on, come on. feel it, feel it.


Feel the vibrations. That's right. From San Franscisco to Boston you must have felt the vibrations this morning as the Best Supporting Actor nominations were read and Mark Wahlberg's name was read. This was a sweet sweet morning in my household. You see, about four or five years back my lovely husband and my equally lovely friend made a bet about Marky Mark. The hubby said he'd be nominated for an Oscar in the next 10 years and the friend took the other side. (There is debate whether it was a nomination or a win but the majority remembers it as a nomination). At the time it seemed far-fetched but not so much anymore. Sweet victory. I maintain that his nomination is no where near as laughable as Eddie Murphy. Murphy got nominated for a small role in which he did a James Brown impersonation. Big deal.

How did I like the other nominees? I am happy that "Little Miss Sunshine" got nominated for Best Picture. I haven't seen "Babel" but I have a hard time believing it's that good. The best actress category is insane in that 4 out of the 5 nominees are probably the best working actresses today - Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, and Judi Dench. I was thrilled that Ryan Gosling got nominated because now he'll come with Rachel McAdams and I can have "Notebook" flashbacks. Will Smith proves once again that a smile and a winning personality can take you a long way. I was shocked that "Children of Men" wasn't nominated for Art Direction because I think that is the best production design I've seen in years. One nominee that jumped off the page (and stabbed me in the eyes) was Best Make-up for "Click". Sure, I didn't see it, but that fact that that movie can now say "Oscar nominated" makes me want to vomit a little.

As for the red carpet potential, I'm pretty excited. Two omissions that make the carpet a little less bright are Ben Affleck for "Hollywoodland" who would have brought the always cute Jennifer Garner, and Brad Pitt for "Babel" which would have meant that Angelina would have had to dig up another ugly dress from St. John and put up with the ridiculous mortals trying to interview her.

For the full list of nominees, you can click here.

No comments: