Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Oscar Nominations


This morning the oscar nominations were announced. This year they expanded the Best Picture category to 10 films in the hopes that it would bring more viewers to the telecast. I find that hysterical because all they did was nominate more small indie movies that no one has seen. I thought that with the expansion they would nominate a "Star Trek" or "The Hangover". Nope, it paved the way for a "A Serious Man" nomination which is a film that has been seen by 15 people. Well, let's hope something draws the viewers....

My thoughts...

Best Actor

Jeff Bridges in “Crazy Heart”
George Clooney in “Up in the Air”
Colin Firth in “A Single Man”
Morgan Freeman in “Invictus”
Jeremy Renner in "The Hurt Locker"

Colin Firth and Morgan Freeman were maybes but I guess I'm glad that Mr. Darcy is getting Oscar nods. Jeremy Renner was amazing but Jeff Bridges will win. And why shouldn't The Dude be an Oscar winner?

Best Supporting Actor
Matt Damon in “Invictus”
Woody Harrelson in “The Messenger”
Christopher Plummer in “The Last Station"
Stanley Tucci in “The Lovely Bones”
Christoph Waltz in "Inglourious Basterds"

I think they wanted to be sure that Matt Damon showed up looking good in a tux so they've cemented that reality. Haven't seen the Plummer or Tucci movies. I'm so happy that Harrelson got nominated because he was damn good. But Christoph Waltz is the clear winner here.

Best Actress
Sandra Bullock in “The Blind Side”
Helen Mirren in “The Last Station”
Carey Mulligan in “An Education”
Gabourey Sidibe in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”
Meryl Streep in "Julie and Julia"

First, I'm kind of over this Gabby Sidibe chick. Is she really that good in the movie? She doesn't have that many lines and to me she didn't seem like she did that much. But whatever. Oscar likes their fairy tale stories. And, speaking of...Sandra Bullock has been nominated for an Oscar. Wow. It seems like everything thinks that movie is a joke yet she keeps winning awards. So good for her. She's made enough amazing girl movies that I support her. But the fact that she could beat Meryl Streep is a bit ridiculous. This one's a toss up.

Best Supporting Actress
Penélope Cruz in “Nine”
Vera Farmiga in “Up in the Air”
Maggie Gyllenhaal in “Crazy Heart”
Anna Kendrick in “Up in the Air”
Mo’Nique in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”

The Academy must love Penelope Cruz because she's always nominated under the radar. This was the one category that I was surprised by because Maggie Gyllenhaal was nominated. She hasn't really been nominated at all this awards season. I have to say, I have never been a fan and I thought she was completely miscast as a love interest for Jeff Bridges in that movie. But oh well. Mo'Nique will win in a landslide and she deserves to.

Best Director
“Avatar” - James Cameron
“The Hurt Locker” - Kathryn Bigelow
“Inglourious Basterds” - Quentin Tarantino
“Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” - Lee Daniels
“Up in the Air” - Jason Reitman

Tarantino doesn't have a chance which is too bad because he's so rad. (And would give an amazing speech). This is the one category which I will be so pissed about if Cameron wins. For a guy who makes movies I love (mostly...up until recently), I really can't stand him. What an arrogant prick. So I hope Kathryn Bigelow wins. Not only because she made a great movie, but because she directed "Point Break". Amazing.

Best Picture
Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

This was a little surprising as I said above. I thought they'd nominate a few more mainstream movies. Although The Blind Side was very unexpected. Not sure what will win. I'm worried that they'll reward Avatar simply because of the technology it's created and the VFX strides that they made. Which is a bummer because that movie sucks. My vote is for The Hurt Locker or Inglourious Basterds. We'll see on March 7th!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love ur blog keep posting!