Monday, January 25, 2010

Best/Worst Movies of 2009


I can honestly say this was the worst year for movies I can remember in a long time. At least for the 7 years I've been doing this on this blog and for many years before that I'm sure. Not sure what happened but not a single movie really blew me away. There were a couple good ones but, seriously, what a mediocre year.

TOP 10 LEAST FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2009

10. Avatar
Yes, technologically amazing and pretty. But I just can't ignore the fact that I didn't like any of the characters and I could not get any real emotion from either the male or female lead. And the Pandora world was so cartoon-y looking with it's bright colors and CGI that it refused to hook me.

9. 500 Days of Summer
Annoying hip and indie. And of course I have a Zooey Deschanel problem.

8. An Ugly Truth
My god is Katherine Heigl annoying nowadays. And this movie plays up her uptight annoying factor. Of course, I said the same thing last year about 27 Dresses on this exact list and I've watched that like 15 times on HBO.

7. GI Joe
I worked on it. And it sucked.

6. I Love You Man
I wanted this to be good because I adore Paul Rudd. The only way to make me not like him? Make him a girly wussy with no male friends.

5. Bruno
Just didn't think it was funny.

4. Bride Wars
Ugh. I'm offended for all chick flicks.

3. Confessions of a Shopaholic
See above.

2. Watchmen
Had trouble sitting through this one it was so bad.

1. Twilight: New Moon
Now, the first one was "bad" but it was enjoyable. This was just bad bad. Will I see the third film? Probably.


TOP 10 FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2009

10 1/2. First 30 minutes of Funny People
This movie deserves a shout out because it could have been good. COULD have. It started off so well...

10. Crazy Heart
Simple story and, while Maggie Gyllenhaal was annoying, the music is FANTASTIC and Jeff Bridges is great.

9. Julie and Julia
Ahh, Meryl Streep. So comforting.

8. An Education
Nice little British movie with a refreshing young star.

7. Star Trek
The best big summer popcorn flick I've seen in a long time. Probably because Chris Pine and the rest of the cast are so charismatic.

6. The Hangover
Have you heard? It's funny.

5. The Proposal
Makes the list if only because the scenery and the house was so damn awesome. But, up until the last movie I saw this year, it was the ONLY movie to move me to tears. Yes, I know.

4. Up In The Air
Nice movie. I think it's overhyped but it's nice.

3. The Messenger
And this is the movie that truly made me cry. A tiny movie that's under the radar but see it if you can. Ben Foster and Woody Harrelson are really terrific in a very moving movie.

2. The Hurt Locker
I wish all of these actors were getting more attention. The three leads are great and it's just well done all around.

1. Inglourious Basterds
I love Quentin. This is a movie that, the more you think about it, the more you realize how awesome it is. He makes it seem effortless but it takes a lot of talent to make something seem so easy. The farmhouse scene? The basement tavern scene? Rad.

No comments: