Monday, February 23, 2009

the oscars happened


Before the fashion (ugly), a brief couple of notes about the show.

1. I had really REALLY high hopes for Hugh Jackman. He's hot, charming as hell, and can sing and dance which I love. Love musical numbers. Usually. But those song and dance numbers completely disappointed me. The opening wasn't that good but then the medley with Beyonce and the young kids was TERRIBLE. Baz Luhrmann, you should be ashamed. My god.

2. What I did like was the way they presented the acting awards. At first it kind of freaked me out. But then I really enjoyed seeing the past winners and then seeing the nominees get choked up as some of their idols described how much they enjoyed their performances. The most personal and heartfelt ones were most touching (ie Shirley McClaine to Anne Hathaway) and other presenters should have done their research better (Alan Arkin calling his nominee "Seymour Philip Hoffman").

3. For the first time I was actually seriously nervous, tense, and invested in the announcement for Best Actress and Best Actor. I was going to just die for Kate if she didn't win an Oscar after all this build-up. And then the Rourke vs. Penn fight was a good one. Obviously wanted to see Rourke's speech but Penn deserved to win.

4. Tina Fey and Steve Martin were so great together. That would be a fantastic hosting duo.

5. Too many montages!! Goddamn people. A montage for Romance, Action, Comedy, and Documentaries of 2008? Too much. And it just reminded me that no one can make a good chick flick. Pathetic.

6. Robert Pattinson really couldn't believe he was presenting at the Oscars. Nor can we. But I'm sure he's to thank for the 10% increase in ratings from last year.

7. The Japanese guy who won for short film or something who could not speak any English ended in "Domo arrigato, Mr. Roboto". So rad.

No comments: