Tuesday, March 03, 2009

catching up with Netflix DVDs


This past week I've seen some of the hits from last year that I missed. First, I saw Mamma Mia. I had serious reservations as I didn't love the stage musical and I'd heard some bad reviews. But I'd also heard from people who liked it and, hell, it's made half a billion dollars worldwide. Even beating Titanic in the UK. So all those people couldn't be wrong, right? Not right. What a train wreck of a movie. Blech. It was just crap. Like someone threw up on the screen and I'm not sure quite how they got there. I didn't like the costumes, hair and makeup, choreography, etc. And while Meryl and Amanda Seyfried can sing, the men couldn't and that was painful. It was all painful.

Also caught The Secret Life of Bees which I obviously know doesn't appeal to a wide audience. But I had heard good things and it was quite a nice little movie. Dakota Fanning is pretty rad and Michael from "The Wire" is in it. And so is Paul Bettany playing a racist asshole Southern father. And he's great.

And I finally saw Pineapple Express. I didn't know if I'd love this movie because I'm not a huge stoner fan but I have to say this movie was damn funny. I found myself laughing so hard and rolling off the couch many times. Bravo James Franco. Not sure if he was completely high in every scene (he looked it), but still. Rad.

No comments: